Skip to main content


To file a complaint about occupational health and safety in California, workers need to file with the Division of Occupational Safety and Health (DOSH). If workers experience retaliation as a result of engaging in protected activity, workers would then have to file a retaliation complaint with the Labor Commissioner at the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement (DLSE).



Federal OSHA

Workers can also dual file their health and safety complaints with Federal OSHA and their retaliation complaints with the Whistleblower Protection Program.

Options to Address Retaliation

The DLSE and Federal 11(c) processes are only two remedies for addressing retaliation. There are multiple other avenues available to workers including collective action and concerted activity, worker organizing, and utilizing media pressure. 

Individual Collective Action
DLSE Complaint Implement Fairfax Memo
Union Grievance (if unionized) Engage in Collective Action
Labor Code 6310 & 6311 NLRB Complaint
OSHA 11(c) Media Campaign
NLRB Complaint Organizing Campaign

National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) and National Labor Relations Act (NLRA)

Private Right of Action