Administrative & Accounting Assistant (Oakland)
Worksafe is looking for a full time Administrative and Accounting Assistant to support our mission to advance the rights of low income, immigrant, and vulnerable workers throughout California. The position is based in Oakland, California.
Worksafe is a California-based nonprofit that advocates for the basic right of all workers to a safe, healthy, and fair workplace. We advocate for strong worker health and safety laws and effective remedies for injured workers. We also engage in campaigns with worker organizations and activist networks to eliminate workplace hazards, and we watchdog government agencies to ensure they are protecting workers.
In addition to advocacy and policy work, we are a support center for California legal aid organizations whose clients face workplace health or safety hazards, suffer injuries, or face retaliation at work for exercising their rights under health and safety laws. We provide legal aid groups with training, technical assistance, and litigation support, improving access to justice for low-wage and immigrant workers – workers most vulnerable to having their rights violated or suffering workplace injuries.
Under general supervision of the Associate Director of Development and Operations, the Administrative and Accounting Assistant is responsible for ensuring the daily functioning and health of our organization by maintaining our financial and administrative systems and providing administrative support for projects and campaigns.
As with many small nonprofits, people on the Worksafe team wear multiple hats, and the job functions of the Administrative and Accounting Assistant reflect that need for versatility. The ideal candidate has a passion for social justice, an eye for detail and accuracy, excellent communication skills, strong computer skills, and a willingness to perform critical support functions of the organization.
- Process vendor invoices, purchase requests, and expense reimbursements
- Provide administrative support to the Executive Director
- Provide administrative support to special projects and campaigns
- Facilitate regular internal communications, including staff-wide announcements, and manage the staff calendar
- Answer Worksafe’s main telephone and direct calls; process ingoing and outgoing mail; monitor general inquiry email addresses
- Maintain office records in paper and cloud-based filing systems in compliance with our policies
- Help update and maintain Worksafe’s CRM platform (Salesforce)
- Order, stock, and manage office supplies
- Maintain and manage vendor lists and relationships
- Provide logistical support for meetings, events, trainings, and conference calls (e.g., booking conference room/venue, setup, A/V, catering, attendee tracking, note taking, etc)
- Assist with fundraising logistics
- Support office operations (ensure equipment is maintained including basic troubleshooting, interact with property manager, etc.)
- Process payroll as needed
- Support social media efforts on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn as needed
- Other duties as assigned
DESIRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- At least one year of experience in a professional administrative position, or equivalent training or experience
- Strong attention to detail and technical accuracy
- Excellent problem-solving, organizational, and time-management skills
- Ability to work independently with little supervision
- Experience with and interest in office administration, clerical, and bookkeeping
- Strong writing and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Google Suite (Docs, Sheets, Slides) required
- Knowledge of Quickbooks Online or similar bookkeeping software required
- Knowledge of basic bookkeeping functions and accounting controls a plus
- Knowledge of processing payroll
- Familiarity with Salesforce or other CRM system
- Experience with social media platforms a plus
- Bilingual in a language of one or more California immigrant worker populations a plus
- Experience with tech troubleshooting including software, hardware, and networks issues a plus
- Passion for social justice required
This is a full-time, non-exempt (hourly wage, overtime eligible) position. However, we would consider a highly experienced candidate seeking a regular part-time position. Compensation is $19.00 to $24.00 per hour DOE.
Our generous benefits package includes paid vacation and holidays, health and dental insurance, 401k with employer contribution, commuter benefits, and more.
To apply fill out the webform below, and attach your cover letter and resume in the appropriate fields. If we invite you for an interview we will request references. While this position will remain open until filled, please submit your application by 04/30/2019 for priority consideration.
Worksafe is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage women, people of color, LGBTQ+ applicants, and older workers to apply.
To apply, please fill out the form below, and attach your cover letter and resume in the appropriate fields.