Worksafe is Hiring! We are looking for a Communications & Development Associate to support our mission to advance the rights of low income, immigrant, and vulnerable workers throughout California. The position is based in Oakland, California.
ABOUT US: Worksafe is a California-based nonprofit that advocates for the basic right of all workers to a safe, healthy, and fair workplace. We advocate for strong worker health and safety laws and effective remedies for injured workers. We also engage in campaigns with worker organizations and activist networks to eliminate workplace hazards, and we watchdog government agencies to ensure they are protecting workers.
In addition to advocacy and policy work, we are a support center for California legal aid organizations whose clients face workplace health or safety hazards, suffer injuries, or face retaliation at work for exercising their rights under health and safety laws. We provide legal aid groups with training, technical assistance, and litigation support, improving access to justice for low-wage and immigrant workers – workers most vulnerable to having their rights violated or suffering workplace injuries.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Communications & Development Associate is responsible for supporting the organization’s communications and fundraising efforts. This person will assist with internal and external communications across multiple platforms, for a variety of audiences. They will also perform skilled administrative and clerical duties directly related to development activities. These include maintaining donor databases, coordinating donor communications, and assisting with fundraising events. The ideal candidate has a passion for worker justice, excellent writing skills, and an eye for technical accuracy.
- Formulate powerful messages about worker safety and health and workplace justice for multiple audiences, including workers, labor advocates, attorneys, public health professionals, and others
- Design, write, and edit a variety of communications products for print and web
- Manage and track the reach of Worksafe’s website and social media accounts
- Help create and maintain internal communications protocols (editorial calendar, style guide, etc.)
- Regularly create, produce, and send donor solicitations and acknowledgments
- Help identify funding opportunities, write grant proposals, and prepare reports for grantors
- Conduct prospective donor research
- Use Salesforce to capture and analyze donor information and grow our donor pool
- Support event planning, including Worksafe’s annual fundraising event
- Other duties as assigned
DESIRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- At least two years of relevant work experience in development and/or communications, ideally in the nonprofit sector
- Superior writing, verbal communication, editing, and proofreading skills
- Strong attention to detail and technical accuracy
- Excellent problem-solving, organizational, and time-management skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite required
- Experience with social media platforms required
- Database experience required; familiarity with Salesforce or similar CRM system strongly preferred
- Graphic design and/or production experience a plus
- Bilingual in a language of one or more California immigrant worker populations a plus
- Passion for protecting the health and safety of workers, their families, and communities required
Compensation is commensurate with experience and includes a generous benefits package. This is a full-time position. Worksafe is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage women, people of color, and LGBTQ people to apply.
To apply, please fill out the form below and attach your cover letter and resume in the appropriate fields. If we consider you for an interview we will request references and a writing sample.
While this position will remain open until filled, please submit your application by June 29th for priority consideration.